Good day beautiful people,
I hope that today’s post meets you well? Today I will be introducing you to a new series, created in order to present key ways in which a person can start living their best life. The attribute I will be focusing on this week which I believe greatly contributes towards living an ABUNDANT (full) life is…Prioritising intimacy with God (working on your spiritual health).
Now I’d just like to clarify that living an abundant life doesn’t mean living a long life, there are many people that have made immense contributions to society even though their life on earth was brief. For example Christ Jesus, He lived till he was 33 years old yet because of His life, death, and resurrection all who believe will live forever because of the precious gift of salvation! So aspire to live your best, and give your best. There is more to life than eating, drinking, working, and growing old. I do believe that there are certain actions which one can take to help promote good health, potentially resulting in living longer, but I plan on discussing health matters in more detail in another post. It is important that we remember that our physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being are ALL important! When we are physically or emotionally troubled it is highly likely that our spiritual health will be negatively impacted, and vice versa. So to live our best lives we must remember to look after every element of our being.
John 10:10 ~ The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.
It’s a new year which means it’s the perfect time to develop new healthy habits. As Christians I believe that it is essential for us to stay in close fellowship with the Lord, otherwise disconnection can lead to one being overwhelmed with anguish. We must intentionally make the decision to spend time with God, by daily scheduling quiet time with Him.
Vital steps to take
1. Form a daily routine: Set aside a specific time in the day to read the Bible and to pray. Stick to it and do it DAILY. It could be in the am or the pm whatever suits you best, but just ensure you do so daily. I like to read my Bible in the morning and say a short prayer before work, as it is my personal preference to start my day with God in such a way. I know that after work I’m usually pretty tired and hungry and once I hit the sheets I’m going to sleep. I also like to pray in the car on my way to work or listen to songs which glorify God. (Matthew 6:5-18 shows us the pattern we should follow for prayer and fasting, and reminds us that prayer ought to be a DAILY habit. Please do go over this passage in your spare time).
2. Invest in a Bible reading plan: Having a reading plan to follow creates discipline, and can support you in reading through the bible in a year. Plus you won’t have the issue of not knowing what to read. You won’t spend time aimlessly flicking through pages. You’ll have the opportunity to read through all the books of the bible, rather than just the Psalms or New Testament books, therefore you’ll end up with a good well balanced spiritual diet.
2 Timothy 3:16 ~ All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.
3. Engage in fasting: Fasting is a great way to develop discipline by not allowing the flesh to have it’s way. Denying the body food (a need) for a specific amount of time, can help strengthen us by building us up to say no to sin (saying no to things which go against God’s will for our life). There are different types of fasts and I am aware that not everyone is medically fit to fast so it’s important that you seek God for counsel, and a medical doctor for advice if needs be. Fasting also brings us closer to God, because we get more time to spend with Him (the time we would be eating or cooking can be spent getting to know Him more deeply). Remember that there are other things which you can abstain from other than food.
4. Attend a group fellowship (small group): I believe it is very important for believers to attend a bible believing church, and I have written up on this before and you can check out the post here, but I also believe it’s important to attend small groups were one can study the Bible with others, pray for one another and BE MORE INTIMATE. An environment with a small number of people can create a safety net where individuals feel secure enough to share their personal life issues, leading to better accountability between individuals.
Hebrews 10:25 ~ And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 ~ So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.
5. Learn to worship through singing: Singing to God is a great way to offer Him worship, by sincerely giving your all to Him (heart, mind, body etc). Singing or listening to songs which offer worship to the King of kings, can help us connect with God, and can uplift our spirits by reminding us of how great God is!
Psalm 100:2 ~ Worship the LORD with gladness. Come before him, singing with joy.
6. Get a notebook: Invest in resources which can help you take notes when reading the Bible or listening to a sermon. Writing things down can better help us retain information and learn, plus we can record the wonderful things which God has done. Taking notes can further help one to mediate upon God’s word.
Joshua 1:8 ~ Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do.
7. Listen to Christian podcasts: This can truly revolutionise your life. Life can be so busy but whilst on the go (shopping, cleaning, cooking, commuting etc.) you can tune into the word of God, and learn from a vast number of Christian teachers. This gives you the opportunity to further grow and have a well balanced spiritual diet, by listening to individuals gifted to teach on specific topics.
Never for once fall into the trap of believing that spending time with God is a waste of time, assuming that you could of better spent your time elsewhere by doing stuff on your ‘to do list’. This is where being organised comes into play. We must all learn to plan well otherwise we will live disorderly lives. Some of us need to start going to bed early so we don’t start of our days physically exhausted from the get go. Just know that 20 mins with God can save you 7 hours in a week because He has the power to reveal ways on how you can adjust certain aspects of our life so that you become more productive.
Have a blessed and productive week.
Christian Lady After God’s Own Heart